I love coming up with fun food ideas for Halloween! This year is no different. Using the Original SkinnyPop Popcorn, I made this colorful snack perfect, for Halloween. My older son came up with the idea to mix different colors of popcorn and candy corn together – it turned out great!
I found the recipe to color the popcorn from Two Sisters Crafting and their very adorable Cookie Monster Popcorn – I mean seriously, how cute is that? I cut their recipe in half and made three batches of popcorn, orange, purple, and black. I used Wilton’s Gel Icing Colors to color the popcorn – I have had a lot of success with this product as it gives you very intense colors! Note that for the black popcorn, I added 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder with the marshmallows to help get it to a black color vs. grey.
- 15 cups Original SkinnyPop Popcorn
- 4 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 4 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Wilton Gel Food Coloring
- Bag of candy corn
- Make the popcorn in 3 batches. The instructions below are for 1 batch.
- Add 5 cups of popcorn to a large bowl.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows.
- Stir frequently, allowing the marshmallows to melt.
- Once the final marshmallow has melted, remove from heat and add in a few drops of the food coloring and stir to combine.
- Slowly pour over popcorn, stirring until well combined.
- Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil and pour the popcorn on it, spreading it out to cool.
- Note: For the black popcorn, add the cocoa powder to the pan once you add the marshmallows. This will help color the popcorn black (and not grey).
- Once the popcorn has cooled completely, break it up and add it to a large serving bowl, alternating colors and adding candy corn throughout.
- I have noticed that the black popcorn does get on your fingers a little bit - keep some wipes handy!