The Hubby’s family absolutely loves this dish. The recipe has been passed down the generations from his mom’s side of the family. Even the version of it that I have from my sister-in-law suggests improvisation! When he was growing up, he and his siblings used to call it “Apple Belly” – so cute!
This is best served warm and you can top it with some vanilla ice cream or what I did for this, was added a couple of tablespoons of sugar to 1 cup whipping cream and made my own whipped topping.
Add more or less to this recipe to please your own taste buds, enjoy!
- 4 cups peeled, sliced, tart apples
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mound apples in a buttered 9-inch pie plate, sprinkle with orange juice.
- Combine sugar, flour, spices, and a dash of salt. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Top the apples with this mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is crisp.
- As you are making the topping, you can add more butter, cinnamon, and/or sugar to make more of the crust.