I have been serving this appetizer for years – it is straight out of my Colorado Collage Cookbook from The Junior League of Denver. It’s simple, a crowd pleaser, and can easily be made JUST before your guests arrive! This is delicious to enjoy with cooler weather upon us and perfect for holiday celebrations.
A couple of variations I have made to the recipe include adding the dried cranberries and using a smaller round of Brie. I make just about the same amount of topping, but the original recipe calls for a 16 ounce round of Brie – using the smaller round gives you more “sauce” per serving. I also serve with baguette slices, but this could easily be paired with crackers and fruit as the original recipe suggests. Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- ¼ tablespoons Kahlúa or strong, freshly brewed coffee, cooled
- ½ cup pecan halves, toasted
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 8-ounce round Brie cheese
- Sliced baguette for serving
- In medium skillet, combine brown sugar and Kahlúa. Heat, stirring constantly until blended. Add pecans, simmer until hot, but not runny. Remove from heat.
- Place Brie on microwave-safe serving plate and spoon warm pecan mixture on top. Microwave on high 1-2 minutes or until cheese softens. Watch carefully, cheese will melt quickly. Garnish with dried cranberries and serve with baguette slices.