Jump to recipe
This appetizer is a low carb version of an Italian sausage sandwich, just served on a stick instead of bread! My younger son came up with the name “Italian Stackers”, so that’s what they are called.
This is a great make ahead dish, you can have everything prepped and stored in an oven safe dish in your refrigerator until you are ready to heat and serve.
If you are using wooden skewers, it is important to soak your skewers in water since you will be putting them in the oven and if you’d like, into a crockpot to keep them warm when serving.
I hope you’ll give this dish a try and let me know what you think!
Italian Stackers – Sausage, Peppers, and Onions
- 1 19 pounce package of Italian sausage (hot or mild)
- Olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into small squares
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into small squares
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into small square “stacks”
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Slices of Provolone cheese, cut into small squares
- Short skewers, for serving (I used 3.75 inch)
- Marinara sauce, for serving
- Cut the Italian sausage into thick slices.
- Sauté in a small amount of olive oil until cooked through.
- Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel.
- Wipe some of the grease out of the pan, add peppers and onions and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until softened.
- Add minced garlic, ground pepper, and Italian seasoning and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool.
- Soak your wooden skewers for at least 30 minutes in water before building your stackers.
- Once cooled, you can begin to build your stackers.
- Start with a piece of red bell pepper, then a few squares of onions, then a square of green bell pepper, and finally top a piece of sausage with a square of provolone and add to the bottom.
- Add these to an oven safe dish as you build them.
- Once complete, you can either store, covered, in the refrigerator or if you are close to serving time, go to the next step.
- Before serving, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat until warmed through and the cheese has melted onto the sausage.
- These can be served in a small crockpot on low to keep them warm.
- Include a warmed (or room temperature) bowl of marinara sauce on the side for dipping.
(Visited 46 times, 1 visits today)