It’s that time of the year again, spending time with family and friends, enjoying each other’s company and doing plenty of eating! This appetizer is great to serve during the holidays. We have been using Farmer John Thick Cut Bacon recently and we absolutely LOVE it! Surprisingly we had some leftover from breakfast last weekend and learned that it is pretty damn good straight out of the fridge after a few cocktails!
The individual parts of this can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator. When you are ready to serve, give yourself a few minutes to assemble and serve! This is served at room temperature – perfect for your guests to enjoy while your holiday dinner is cooking. Enjoy!
- 1 pound medium asparagus
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 loaf of Italian bread
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 8 ounces shaved Parmesan cheese
- 8 slices bacon, crumbled
- Balsamic Glaze
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Break off the tough ends of the asparagus and discard. Lay the stalks on a baking sheet. Drizzle with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven, until tender, approximately 10 minutes. Cool and cut into thirds.
- You can also lay the bacon on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper while the asparagus is roasting to cook instead of frying in a pan. A lot easier to clean up!
- Cut the bread into thick slices and grill until toasted. Rub each slice with the halved garlic while the bread is still hot.
- To assemble, place some of the asparagus on each slice of bread. Drizzle with olive oil and some of the balsamic glaze. Top with some of the shaved Parmesan cheese and then the crumbled bacon. Add just another small drizzle of balsamic glaze.
- Serve immediately.
- You can prep the asparagus, bacon, and Parmesan ahead of time and store in sealed containers in the refrigerator. You can also prep the bread ahead of time and store in a zip top bag. Assemble when you are ready to serve.